Saturday, March 27, 2021

An impromptu visit: River Raisin

Fortune smiled upon me Thursday and lead me on an impromptu adventure near the River Raisin gauge site I had been hoping to check out soon. I found the site, located on the north bank in a spot difficult to stop and photograph, so I instead gathered some pictures from the county park a half mile or so upstream. Again, the water about to be logged!

I also brought my new anemometer along this time, which I set to read out in knots and Celsius because... why not? So I jotted in my notebook the local air temperature at 21 degrees Celsius and variable winds from the northeast at 2 knots. This is particularly indulgent for a data collector who was so pleased to find USGS records eight different data parameters at the gauge site (#04176500). For now, here are the two graphs showing flow and river height. Note that these graphs show the influx of water from the rain the evening of March 25-26. The pictures are from shortly before the rain.